Sunday, February 25, 2007

Crucified with Christ

Paul told the Galatians, “have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” (Gal. 2:20)

All Christians have been “baptized into Christ” and “baptized into His death” (Rom. 6:3). It is in baptism that we become “united with Him in the likeness of His death” (Rom. 6:5). This is when we, like Paul, are “crucified with Christ”.

This event should mark a change in our life. Paul said it was “no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me”. That is, Paul was no longer living for himself and fulfilling the desires of the flesh. He was now living “by faith”.

Likewise, when we have been “buried with Him through baptism into death,” we rise from that watery grave to “walk in newness of life” (Rom. 6:4). The intent is that “our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves of sin” (Rom. 6:6). Now that we have been “freed from sin,” we must become “slaves of righteousness” (Rom. 6:18).

Let us “put off the old man” and “put on the new man” (Col. 3:9-10) that we might be found pleasing to the Lord who loved us and gave Himself up for us.

No comments:

Creative Commons License