Friday, January 25, 2008

Some Thoughts from 2 Timothy

In February we're going to start studying 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus in the Sunday morning Bible class I teach. Tonight I've been working on the study guides. When I write a study guide, I divide them up a lesson per chapter. At the top of the page in each lesson I list a key verse in the chapter that states one of the main points.

After I finished 2 Timothy, I noticed a pattern in the verses I had chosen. 2 Timothy 1:13, 2:15, 3:16, and 4:2.

What are we to do?
"Retain the standard of sound words" (1:13). Hold fast the pattern and live by it, no matter what the cost.

How do we do this?
"Be diligent (study, KJV) to present yourself approved to God...accurately handling the word of truth" (2:15). Study the word. That is our standard. We cannot retain the standard if we are not familiar with it.

Why should we do this?
"All Scripture is inspired by God" (3:16). Why bother following the Bible and not some other standard? Because the Bible is the only book that is from God. Nothing can compare with it.

What should we do with it?
"Preach the word" (4:2). Do not hide the truth. Do not insert your opinions or those of others. Simply preach the pure, unadulterated word of God.

These instructions were written to the evangelist Timothy. But all Christians can learn from this. Hold to, practice, study, preach and teach the word because it is in fact from God. The more we work at these things, the more we will please Him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love finding patterns -- or in this case, having someone show me patterns they've found. Good thoughts!

Creative Commons License